Sunday, October 31, 2010

Media Malpractice: Watching the News Today

I was flipping between the news channels today, and I thought the contrast was pretty intense.  It's always a pretty clear contrast between the three channels (MSNBC, CNN, and Fox), but it was particularly apparent today, because of the upcming election.  Here is what was on:

I started on MSNBC:
Andrea Velez Mitchel was interviewing the President of the AFL-CIO about the Pensylvania candidates, and what he thought of them.

I got bored so I flipped to CNN:
Fareed Zakaria GPS was on, and he was talking about how to get our economy moving again.  He crafted an excellent argument about how we have to start funneling money into R&D and putting people to work in the new information sectors, and stop trying to replace the sectors like manufacturing that are disappearing.  He suggested we spend 6% of GDP on R&D, which is about what we spend on the military right now.  How are we going to pay for it?  an Innovation tax on consumer goods, because as fareed notes, consumerism and credit is what got us into this mess, so this tax does anything to slow consumerism in this country, he thinks that is a good thing.  Overall, I liked what he was saying!  No big surprise there, the guy is a genius.

Commercial break, so I flipped over to Fox:
(1) "Did a TV station in Alaska controlled by the liberal mainstream media try to steal the election from Miller?"
That was the first thing I heard.  So, just to be clear, MSNBC is interviewing interests groups, CNN is talking about fixing the economy and new business sectors, and Fox is airing conspiracy theories to try and get their candidates elected.  Wow...
(2) Shortly after that, they aired a segment about "mail bombs" showing up in airplanes.
How transparent!  2 day before the election, ratchet up the terrorism rhetoric so you can win votes off of people's fears.  Seriously, Fox has no f***ing shame!!  this is why I don't feel bad for voting Democrats straight down the ballot this year.  This is trashy!

So then I channel surfed for a while, before returning again to Fox News (I pretty much just went in reverse order this time):
Still hammering that "mail bomb" campaign, although I did learn that the pundit who was pushing the fear angle was none other than Megan Kelly.  That woman needs a muzzle... YES, I'm insinuating that she is a B****.

Then I switched back to CNN:
They had taken a break from FZ GPS and were siring the international news.  There were some attacks in the middle east.  And then they talked a little bit about how they were the best political team on television.

At that point my gag reflex kicked in and I switched back to MSNBC:
They were talking about whether or not Obama was going to follow a Clinton model of running things, now that the Republicans are probably going to take over the House (I'd like to point out that the election has not happened yet, so this is media malpractice in and of itself!).  I don't remember the guest they had on because it is silly and speculative, and even if it is true, the media must take some complicity in the Democratic loss this year for basically parroting the Fox News propaganda about this election for the past 18 months.  We all know that the media has incredible electioneering power, which is why they should stay out of it.

In summary
MSNBC: Why are groups supporting certain candidates, and how is Obama going to govern after the election.
CNN: Fareed = awesome
Fox: (1) conspiracy theories, (2) bombs on planes, (3) crazy blonde woman.
Anybody else noticing a difference?

Anyhow, I figured I would share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment