Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Racial Politics: Illegal Alien Costume

Ok, here is a little of my conservative side coming out (I know, it's very rare).  So apparently there is a big controversy right now over an Illegal Alien Costume that has come out for Halloween.  The costume is a orange "prison like" jumpsuit, with an alien mask and a green card.  Hownestly, when I saw this the first time I laughed a little.  It's funny.


I recognize that some people might find it offensive because it is meant to satyre an entire group of people, but I don't think this version does, because you aren't really satyring the group, you are making fun of the concept.  Now, there were versions that I found offensive.  When the alien has a baseball cap or sombrero and a handlebar mustache, I think that was tasteless.  If the image were clearly a mexican man/woman then it would also be wrong, but it's not.  It's of an alien, and its funny.

I suppose my main reason for not finding it offensive is that, while there is a clear connection with the politically hot topic of illegal immegration, it's poking fun at the concept not the people.  One person remarked that he thought it was meant to suggest that illegal aliens aren't human.  That is a stretch and you might be a little over sensitive if you come to that conclusion.  I think it is funny because it suggests that maybe our immegration policies are silly in that we might even call an actual alien an illegal immegrant.  That might be a little stupid huh?

Anyway, I don't think it's that bad, but since I'm not an illegal immegrant, I will leave the decision of whether it should stay or go up to those individuals.

Common Sense

No comments:

Post a Comment